« What Do I Write About? | Main | Odd RSS Subscriber Stats »

Solved: Missing RSS Subscribers

A helpful reader (thanks Paul) emailed me overnight to explain where my missing RSS subscribers might have gone when I moved GavinKnight.com from Google's Blogger service to Squarespace.

It seems that when you use a custom domain with Blogger (as I was) there is a setting to tie your Feedburner hosted feed to the native feed provided by Blogger (but under your domain - in my case GavinKnight.com). I don't remember specifically enabling that integration, but must have done it. When I moved from Blogger to Squarespace this integration would no longer be active, those subscribers would have been getting a 404 'not found' error - and would have dropped out of my Feedburner subscriber count.

So, I have now created a redirect within Squarespace pointing the old GavinKnight.com RSS URL published by Blogger to the new one published by Squarespace for the Blog - those subscribers should now see my blog posts coming through their feed reader again.

References (2)

References allow you to track sources for this article, as well as articles that were written in response to this article.

Reader Comments (2)

I'm having this same problem...but I'm not sure how to create a redirect like this. I've lost 3/4s of my subscribers!

Never. Moving. Again.

Jan 13, 2011 at 10:50AM | Unregistered Commenterkevin

Sorry to hear that. It was very frustrating.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:08PM | Registered CommenterGavin Knight

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>